June 18, 2013
Oct 31 - Adela Just
Superstorm Sandy made landfall in New Jersey Monday evening, possessing a unique combination of elements that made it unusually powerful and destructive. The latest U.S. death toll is at 48, in addition to the 69 people killed as Sandy made its way through the Caribbean.
Millions of people are without power and probably will continue to be for several more days.
New York City and New Jersey were among the hardest hit. The storm sent a 14-foot surge of seawater over Lower Manhattan, and the city’s subway system endured its worst damage in 108 years of existence. In New Jersey, the devastation is widespread; parts of the coast are still under water, and seaside rail lines were completely washed away. Houses were swept from their foundations, and amusement park rides were washed out to sea.
Sandy is expected to cost about $20 billion in property damage, plus $10-30 billion more in lost business. These figures make the storm one of the costliest natural disasters in U.S. history.
The storm reached further into the country as well, sending heavy rains and even snow into other states.
How You Can Help
If you are interested in helping with the disaster relief efforts in the aftermath of Sandy, the biggest need is funds for the organizations working to help. If you are geographically nearby, some are asking for volunteers as well. Below are a few credible organizations coordinating relief efforts:
Samaritan’s Purse: donations and volunteers
CBN’s Operation Blessing: donations
Salvation Army: donations
1. Pray for protection and shelter for all those who are without homes.
2. Pray that despair would not overtake people’s hearts, but rather that they would put their hope in the Lord.
3. Pray wisdom for state and federal leaders as they coordinate funding and aid.
4. Pray for the protection and safety of emergency workers.
5. Pray for the full restoration of everything the enemy has tried to rob from people.
6. Pray that any scheme of the enemy to use this event to manipulate or interfere with elections would be exposed and would fail.